12.17.2011

Reflections show us many things.

The most common questions starting tomorrow will be: So how was your sabbatical? What did you do? Did you travel? Where did you go? What were some highlights? Where did you go to church? I could answer all those questions for sure. "It was fine. It was great. Yes I travelled. I cooked. I read. I spent time with family. Nope, I didn't go to church and no I don't feel bad about that." I did all the things I never have capacity for because I'm too busy filling the voids in my life with busyness and messiness and I've tended to ignore the things and people I love very much. I've read TEN books. TEN. In two months. That's something to be proud of! Given time to reflect on all these things, to sort of look in the mirror, I found that the closer I looked the more I saw. Reflections are funny things- you look close enough in the mirror and you start to see all your gray hairs. But really no one ever wants to see that because we want to live in denial of the aging process instead! Ignore it and maybe it's not really there, right?? Cover it up, color it, put some make up on it ... I think that the biggest gift of sabbatical is getting a chance to look in the mirror and study the reflection and notice all the things that get ignored on a daily basis. For me, it's the missed opportunities because I'm so "busy". Why are we so busy!? Anyway, if you haven't studied your reflection recently (literally or figuratively), I'd encourage you to do so. Likely you might be missing out on something. Some opportunity to enjoy life at a deeper level. Opportunities like this:
(Fritz's with the little brothers) And this:
(Tree decorating with the nieces)
(Sunset watching with Sara and Brackett)
(Bluebird breakfast with friends) I'm choosing to love the "mirror" in this season and all that has been revealed. It really can be your friend and not your enemy!

1 comment:

I am Bethany. said...

Your little brothers and nieces are so adorable! I'm glad you took a good long rest, you certainly deserve it! I feel like I'm on a sabbatical type break at times, since our work only fills up my whole day on the weekends, and it's actually been a challenge to enjoy it instead of filling it with needless busyness or shame over not working non-stop. I miss you! I love and need these updates!