5.07.2011

Wow, I've never thought about it like that before.

I'm seeing a lot of blogs, tweets and status updates about Moms and how much they are loved.

I just had a thought I've never had before as I'm puttering around my house, making my mom a cake for dessert tomorrow and a number of other things. The thought was this: "I'm so lucky that I've had two moms that have invested in my life." I've never had that thought, nor have I have had the overwhelming sense of thankfulness that followed that thought. Not many people in this world get the experience of two different moms that they are thankful for in the end. Not many at all.

My real Mom, Catherine Lee, was really quite the woman. I remember a lot about her for only having known her 10 years. And even at that, at least 4 of those she was pretty sick. But I remember and am so thankful for so much that she did for me. She used to pack my lunch for school and put little, cute kid cards in them that told me how much she loved me. She used to help me with my school projects, and let me tell you, I ALWAYS had the best school project outcomes. My Mom was a creative genius. She would write me poems that rhymed, type them on her up and coming type writer and leave them by my bed. She knew how to have fun. She told me she loved me all the time, even after she got really sick. She dressed me to the nines and my hair was always done, even when I protested. She was stylish, even though I look back and I remember thinking she was so nerdy, she actually had a sense of eclectic style. She was a free spirit, parts of which she passed on to me. I'm don't obey much of a schedule- my perfect day is where there is nothing to do and I can just have 15 things going around the house at once. My mom was like that I think. (Like today: I was sweeping, cleaning the fridge, doing work, making dinner and talking on the phone at the same time. Oh yes, the same time.)

My step-mom. Sandra Jo is also quite a woman. I wouldn't know Jesus if it wasn't for her and her faith. I wouldn't have received such a great education if it wasn't for her sacrifice. She taught me to cook. She taught me to clean. She taught me how to run on a schedule, to be on time and to pursue the One I love. She patiently taught me Algebra even when it isn't her strongest suit. She taught me to memorize Scripture. She came to all of my volleyball games. She took me shopping. She taught me how to drive. She put up with my pre-teen and teenager stages. Most importantly, she gave me a family- sisters and BROTHERS (she just adopted to more boys) who I love more than any words can express. It's her habit and her call to love those who don't necessarily belong to her, but she always does it well. I would have had a lonely childhood if it wasn't for her and how her presence automatically extended my family. My dad and I would not have made it as far as we have without her. I love my dad, I am and always will be a daddy's girl, but we never would have had all the joy and memories we have now with out my step-mom. She gave me the real stuff of life, the stuff you hold on to forever and ever.

As I'm turning 30 this year, I just hit the 20 year mark that my Mom has been gone. I do still miss her, but I'll confess, those 20 years have been so rich and so full and I don't think they would have been if life had worked out any other way. I attribute that to the God given, merciful gift of my family. I don't tell them enough how much I love them.

My friend Russ used to say, "HITYL? ITYN." (Have I told you lately? [that I love you} I'm tellin' ya now.)

To the Bonfield/Sylvester/Winsor/almost Williamson clan: HITYL? ITYN. Especially you, Mom.


My step-mom and one of the many she's taken in to love on over the years.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I love that! I love YOU!

Erin said...

So beautiful and perfectly put, Jordanne. That little brother is a cutie!