4.20.2012

It's spring! Pinks and greens, oh my!

I've stumbled upon something that is quite divine.
A special relationship has come about, and it's probably not what you think.
Wait for it, wait for it ...
























Brussels sprouts.
Grapefruit.
Avocado.


Yum.


Last week I bought a few pounds of brussels sprouts and all week long I was trying to come up with ways to eat them raw.  I knew I liked them roasted, but raw seemed like a bigger challenge of sorts.
So, salad it was.  Don't knock it 'til ya try it, ok?


Ingredients:

15+ brussels sprouts, raw
1 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned into bite size pieces (try to get a red or pink one.  if it's too sour, sweeten it a tiny bit before you mix it in.)
1 ripe avocado, cut into small pieces
1 garlic clove
1/2 Onion, purple or white, chopped in bite size pieces
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
juice of 2 or 3 lime wedges (optional)
Walnuts (optional)

1.  Wash and peel off bruised leaves of brussels sprouts.  Next, shred your brussels sprouts.  I do this by cutting off the end and then slicing it through the width into four rounds.  Or cut them in half and then slice each section in four.  You want them to be bite size and a kind of shredded.
2.  Cut up your avocado and grapefruit and onion and add it to the brussels sprouts.  I then stir this up until the avocado breaks down a bit coating the bs and the grapefruit juice is released a bit.
3.  Mince your garlic clove and add it to the mix.  Here is where you would add chopped up cilantro and/or walnuts and your lime juice if you want it.
4.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Start out light.

In the end, you want every thing to be a bit coated by the avocado but still have chunks of it in the salad.  If it seems a bit dry for some reason, drizzle it with a tiny bit of olive oil and toss.

Make it!  And then be sure to let me know what you think!


1 comment:

Stacey Gibson said...

Did you make up this recipe? I'm intrigued, but not enough to go hunting for fresh brussel sprouts here. I won't find them anyway. Love you!