10.03.2011

Richness.

Yesterday began a real season of rest and abiding. I do not know what my life will look like at the end of this season, but I anticipate beautiful things and a renaming of sorts. Judging by the way it began today, I know for sure good will prevail.

I am now an older sister of not just one brother, but three. Our family went from 8 of us to 10 of us all in a matter of legal minutes. As we made our way down to the court house this morning I was reminded of why I am always so proud of my family. We prevail and champion grace for one another and for the left behind like few others I know. We certainly have our war wounds from years of situations that caused them, but no one in my family seems to let that keep them down. I love them.

I also began reading a book today (well ok, maybe I started reading four new books today) that has come highly recommended by many. And I can see why. I'm already overwhelmed by thankfulness and this book is bringing an even higher challenge of specifying such things daily. When it comes to naming blessings or that which causes us to be thankful, Ann Voskamp says this:
"Practice is the hardest part of learning, and training is the essence of transformation." Well, now is the time to practice, I say.

Male or female, I'm four chapters in and I'm going to recommend you go buy this book. Find it here.

Beyond that, my day was marked by sunshine, reading on the porch, training our sweet dog to be outside without his leash, taking in the wonderful fall leaves as they change colors and taking my time in all things I did today.

Most of all, two words grabbed my attention from a particular scripture:
John 6:11- "Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted." (NIV)

I'd say that's enough to think about for a long time to come.

3 comments:

The Websters said...

If you want a really good book, you should read this http://www.amazon.com/Sally-Forth-Curmudgeon-Travis-Webster/dp/1463613393/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317830932&sr=1-1

amy said...

You. Are. Awesome.

(And I miss you, but I'm glad you're taking your time. Well done, JB.)

sky said...

We miss you JB!